Confucius Institute Scholarship - Applications open for study in China
Study@TJU Program with Confucius Institute Scholarship
In order to support global development of Confucius Institutes, promote Chinese language and culture, and cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) has launched the Confucius Institute Scholarships program. The CI Scholarships provide sponsorship to foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to pursue study in relevant universities in China.
Tianjin University (TJU), as one of the Host Institutes, welcomes applicants all over the world.
I. Category & Eligibility
- Application is open to applicants with non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 18 and 35, in good health (applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers must not exceed the age limit of 45 yrs);
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in the HSK test. International students currently studying in China are not eligible. Applicants should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicants should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking);
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicants should have no prior experience of studying in China, but have a minimum score of 120 in HSK Test (Level 2), and a minimum score of 40 in HSKK (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicants should have a minimum score of 100 in BCT (A), and a minimum score of 120 in BCT (Speaking);
- Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study, mainly focusing on Chinese language. Applicants should have no prior experience of studying in China. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in the HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicants should submit a HSK or BCT score report.
II. Scholarship Coverage
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage for tuition fees, accommodation fees, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses. Living allowance of One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study is RMB 2,500 per month.
III. Admission Procedure
- From the issue date of the application procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website to register, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form on line, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents;
- Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and Tianjin University are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review and submit the list of recommended applicants to Hanban;
- Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban, Tianjin University will review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban;
- Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Results will be announced on the Scholarship website;
- After confirming with the successful applicants, Tianjin University will post Letter of Admission, Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website, fill out the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of the following documents. If the following documents are not in Chinese or English, notarization documents should be provided.
- A scanned copy of the passport photo page;
- Score reports of the HSK, HSKK or BCT, BCT (Speaking). Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate”;
- Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript;
- Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
- Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed;
- Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else;
- Scholarship winners who cannot register with Tianjin University on time should inform us about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled;
- Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
Address: International Admissions Office (Room118 in Liuyuan),
School of International Education, Tianjin University
No.92, Weijin Road, Nankai District
Tianjin 300072, China
Tel: +86-22-27406691 3